and open to Her Wisdom."
18th Day of the 11th Lunar Cycle
Ruled by Demeter
Lunar Tree Cycle ~ Gort/Ivy
Moon Phase: waning Gibbous
Moon sets: 9:07AM EST
Moon rises: 6:22PM EST
Moon in the Mutable Air Sign of Gemini
Rhiannon's Cycle of the Moon
Lunar Meditation: The satisfaction of conclusion
Sun in Scorpio
Sunrise: 6:52AM EST
Sunset: 5:14PM EST
Solar Question for the Day: "Where do
you need to practice self-control?"
Samhain (Calan Gaeaf) Quarter of the Year
November 4th, 2009
Today there are strong magickal energies for negotiation and written communication. The Moon is in a Mutable Air sign and Woden's Day (Wednesday) is Mercury Day, the day of Communication and Connection.
Mercury's Color Candle Spell to Improve Communication -
This day can be one on which to daring - sometimes communicating can be daring... If possible see if your can find two lavendar-scented purple candles. Remember that lavendar is an herb of transformation and magick! If you cannot find lavendar-scented purple candles, then you 'dress' the candles with lavendar essential oil.. Other supplies you will need are two orange candles, four candle holders, matches or a lighter, and a safe, flat surface to set up on.
This spell will help you to invoke, or call on, all the clever and skillful attibutes of this magickal day of the week. Expect to notice a difference within a day or so. But remember also, if you are brave enough to work this spell designed to improve your communication skills, then you need to be daring enough to step up and use these gifts in a positive and productive way. Repeat the following spell three times. Allow the candles to burn until they go out on their own.
Light purple candles for power on a Wednesday eve
Now burn the orange candles for skill and dexterity
From these two colors spring magick on this fascinating day
Send wisdom, communication skills, and clarity my way.
Close the spell with this line.
For the good of all, with harm to none
By color and light, this spell is done.!
This spell comes from Ellen Dugan's "Book of Witchery".....
If you can use tea lights for this spell because then they will be burnt down faster.
Some thoughts on candles and how they may be used....... I say 'may' because all traditions and groups are not the same.
- As representations of the Lord and Lady on a altar, sometimes called illuminator candles
- To mark the four quarters of a circle (sometimes the candle colors match the quarter colors, and other times not.)
- To represent the elements of fire on the altar (called the fire candle, different from the illuminator candles).
- To represent a sacred triangle within the circle wherein the God and Goddess are called.
- To represent a particular person, place, or thing, aiding focus of a spell. In this case a person's name may be carved on the candle, or perhaps a desire, such as 'success,' written in a magickal alphabet. Other times a person's name might be written on a piece of paper and placed under the candle holder.
- As a magickal timing device, where notches are carved on the candle associated with the increment of days or months to complete the work. For example, a candle with seven markings would be burning on the first day to the first mark, to the second mark on the second day, and so on. (popular in seven-day spells)
- As a magickal working within themselves, where the candle is dressed with oil and/or loaded by carving a small space out of the bottom, where herbs are inserted. '
- As an offering to Spirit, or to the ancestors
- To repel negativity. In medieval times it was believed that evil could not pass through a circle of flame.
In most spells and magickal workings, the shape and the size of the candle isn't important, unless you are working with novelty candles. These candles come in the pre-molded forms of animals, people, and objects, and for the beginniner practitioner may be difficult to find in the more rural areas. Althought useful, n ovelty candles are not required to cast a successful candle spell. Unfortunately, many chap-book-style spell books call for these novelty candles; however, you can always substitute what you have available and still work the spell. The shape of the novelty candle is designed to help you focus on your intent, but don't be swayed into thinking that something like a skull candle or a devil candle should automatically associated with harming someone. For example, a green skull candle works well for healing the mind and body, and a red skull candle might be it to turn unwanted negative attentions away from you. The devil candle can be burned to combat evil and break hexes, though most Wiccans don't use them because of their distaste for anything linked to Satan.
A 7-Knobbed Candle
Green: Release bound money or property
Black: Release someone's hold on you
Red: Remove blocks to love
Yellow: Remove bad luck
Purple: Remove negative magick
Blue: Remove confusion
Orange: Remove blocks to creative success
Purpose: Burn one 'knob' each day to bring about your desired intention, to undo a serious situation, or to remove blocks one at a time. Dual colors (black and red) are to undo and banish by burning the black wax first, then switch to activation as the red wax begins to burn.