Friday, February 12, 2010

Last Day of this lunar cycle - tomorrow New Moon

"I'm one with the Goddess
and open to Her Wisdom."

29th Day of the 2nd Lunar Cycle
Ruled by Hecate
Lunar Tree Cycle ~ Luis/Rowan
23rd Day of the Celtic Tree Cycle - Luis/Rowan
Moon Phase: Dark Moon
Moon rises: 6:24AM EST
Moon sets: 4:44PM EST
Moon in the Fixed Air Sign of Aquarius
Ceridwen's Cycle of the Moon
Lunar Meditation: The compassionate
surrender of night.
Sun in Aquarius
Sunrise: 7:17AM EST
Sunset: 5:42PM EST
Solar Question for the Day: ""What do you
most need and what help is at hand?"
Imbolc (Gwyl Mair) Quarter of the Year
February 12th, 2010

   Here is the last day of this lunar cycle - the lunar cycle of Nion/Ash will begin tomorrow. The New Moon will occur at 9:52PM while the Moon is in the Sign of Aquarius - same as the Sun sign.  Today there are minor magickal energies for resolving quarrels with friends/lovers. 

   The other day a dear friend of mine asked me what I thought of Scott Cunningham's book "Living Wicca" and right at the moment I couldn't really give much of an opinion of it.  I got a very long time ago not long after I purchased his "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner".  Being a solitary practitioner myself I found his books geared towards this type of practice to be very helpful and informative.  So I went back to this book, pulled it off my shelves and dusted it off.  Right away as I began the first chapter titled - Tools of Learning - I was caught up in the magick of his writing and words.  He talked about how difficult it can be for a solitary student of Wicca need tools for learning because lacking the guidance of the presence of a physical teacher in our lives, or unable to attend learning circles in covens, a great challenge is before us. 
    He says on the first page: "We must be creative. Self-teaching is a great challenge, but it can be accomplished through the use of four tools:

Study
Thought
Prayer
Experimentation

The use of these tools is the most effective method by which Solitary Wiccans can increase their knowledge and understanding of Wicca. This four-fold approach may answer nearly every question you
if you're willing to trust yourself; if you're willing to think; and if you're not caught up in worrying that you're doing something incorrectly."

     Reading these words of advice from him I can see how I allowed myself to be wandering around and not trusting myself and not taking the reading I've been doing and doing experimentation (living the life) .  Lately, in the past six months or so I've come to realize this and here in a book I had so many years ago I find where I strayed off my path.  Why didn't I heed these words way back then.  Probably because being such a book addict, I thought you had to have a format laid out for you - you couldn't just
take off start 'doing Wiccan practices' and get it right.  All my learning on new subject in the past had been based on being instructed by someone skilled in the practice.  So therefore, I thought that is what I needed for this spirituality too.  After all the experience I had with religion (Christian) I learned through following the teachings of a priest or preacher. Someone who stood up front and told us, the congregation what to do when.

    So take these suggested tools from Cunningham and start your Wiccan learning right now - what you read about - think on and see it seems right for you. Of course you will have questions that may seem to be answered in books (and now we have the opportunity to learn so much on the internet). Learn the meditation process - perhaps following the information I've been posting here often from Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft.  Reading the information posted won't make you become a skilled in meditation - you have to do it or experiment with it.  Don't be discouraged with your first tries, keep at  it.  These meditation practices can be the same as the 'prayer tool' that Cunningham suggests. 

No comments: