"I'm one with the Goddess
and open to Her Wisdom."
29th Day of the 12th Lunar Cycle
Ruled by Hecate
Lunar Tree Cycle ~ Ngetal/Reed
Celtic Tree Cycle ~ Ruis/Elder
Moon Phase: Balsamic
Moon rises: 6:05AM EST
Moon sets: 3:15PM EST
Moon enters the Mutable Fire
Sign of Sagittarius at 7:25AM EST
Ceridwen's Cycle of the Moon
Lunar Meditation: The legacy of wisdom
you would bequeath to your descendants.
Sun in Sagittarius
Sunrise: 7:38AM EST
Sunset: 4:51PM EST
Solar Question for the Day: "How are you respecting or abusing friendship?"
Samhain (Calan Gaeaf) Quarter of the Year
December 14th, 2009
The moon enters Sagittarius today in preparation for the coming New Moon on the 16th. The Balsamic moon signals the end of one cycle and the coming beginning of another. Keywords for the Balsamic phase are: transition, release, transformation, renewal, purity. It is the phase in a cycle whe n you must let go of everything you have been working on that does not deal with current cycle issues. During this phase you reflect on the passing cycle and prepare for the new. Trust in renewal. It is important to separate from othes now so that you can clear the intellect of negativity. LET GO. Become still and meditate. Meditate upon how unfinished projects and promises can be rewoven into the next new lunar cycle. Take whatever you've learned in this cycle and apply it to what you hope to achieve in the next cycle. Honor this passing lunar cycle and thank it for its lessons it has challenged you with.
Visualization - Finding Your Spirit Animal
This exercise is intended for those who wish to connect with their 'spirit' or totem animal. We have use animals as symbols of spiritual development and expressions of human identity for thousands of years; consequently, many pagans and witches draw upon animal symbolism in order to re-connect with our own animal nature. This visualization uses symbolism as a starting point, and it is up to you to honor your totem animal by committing yourself to take care of their relations on this planet.
Do your preparations for this visualization - if you want you can use the preparations posted in this blog on 12/09....
1. Close your eyes and allow your attention to sink into a dark place behind your eyelids. Imagine your body sinking into the ground, past the foundations of the building in which you are sitting, below the roots of trees and plants. Sink past the bones of ancestors, the shells and remains of sea-creatures that swan in the prehistoric oceans. Imagine sinking into the white-hot metallic core of the planet. Sit in the Earth's center, at the root and beginning of things.
2. When you are ready, imagine rising through all the layers to emerge between the roots of a great tree. Find yourself standing in lush green surroundings. Notice the types of trees near by, whether it is day or night, sunny or moonlit, stormy or calm. Follow any path that attracts you, explore anything that catches your attention. Work your way toward a clearing surrounded by ancient trees. Stand in the center, arms spread wide, and mentally invite your appointed spirit animal to approach.
3. An ancient spirit of the wildwood will appear in the clearning. Note his appearance; do you recognize him? He will respond to your summons by swinging a giant club against the trunk of the largest tree three times before departing. (If he does not do this, it is a sign that you are not yet ready for this exercise. Follow the guidelines for returning to your conscious mind and try again no sooner than one lunar cycle following your first attempt.)
4. Wait patiently for your spirit animal to appear. Whatever it is, you must accept it as your totem beast and merge with it immediately. Take on the shape of the animal and allow it to take you wherever it roams. Trust the animal to take you where it will. and take careful note of what you do when you are shape-changed, where you go and what is shown to you. The animal will let you know when it is time to depart. At this point, it will separate from you and you will regain human form. Now the animal, its appearance and characteristics. Remember to thank your spirit animal as it departs.
5. Close your inner eyes and sink once again into darkness. Do not retrace your journey; you have moved on and cannot return to where you were before you started. When you are ready, slowly return to a fully conscious state, to the room where you are sitting. Note down details of your journey and meeting with your totem animal and then follow guidelines for closing down. (again blog post for 12/9)
In the days that follow this visualization you may be reminded of your animal spirit, mainly because your awareness is heightened by your encounter. Note any relevant concidences that occur up to a Full-Moon cycle after your pathworking, and do some research on your totem animal. What are the habits and characteristics in the wild? What does it symbolize that has relevance to your personality, your spiritual development or chosen path? As with the exercise for finding a patron deity, it is a good idea to acquire or make suitable symbol or representation of your totem animal to focus on when meditating to further your connection with it.
[From: "The Wiccan Bible" by Ann-Marie Gallagher]